Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default 17th ed and consumer unit replacement - OT query

On 21 Sep, 22:47, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

Would a better technical
solution in that case be to replace all the sockets on the main ring
with RCD protected sockets, is that allowed/necessary under 17th ed -

No, since an RCD protected socket does not offer any protection should
you nail through a cable supplying it.

That makes sense.

or is all this unneccesary and the lack of RCD protection
'grandfathered' in?

If you were close to the leakage budget on your main ring, then the
answer would be to split it into two rings, and place each on a
different RCD.

Thanks John. So I should have replaced the CU when I had the chance.
Splitting the ring will be the devil's own job. The wiring is in metal
conduit, but I'm certain the continuity wont be good enough for it to
be classed as adequate, even if earthed. I feel a bit like St
Augustine of Hippo - 17th ed. good, but ...not yet!

Best regards,

Sid