Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Peace will come when it’s gone

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Extra credit for suggesting how we should get there.

In terms of reduction of energy use, and especially finite fossil fuel use,
ultra-insulation for all buildings has to be a VERY high priority. And easily
done with existing technology. Tricky with older buildings but they can be
improved with internal 'dry lining' for example.

But do you see the 'greens' saying this ? NO they just want more tax-funded
expensive wind turbines and solar farms.

Actually in the RIGHT PLACE, wind turbines aren't so bad, but promoting them
as a panacea is insane. Oooh, I could talk about that.

If nanosolar's PV panels turn out to be as good as they say, then even PV
solar might make a viable contribution. In the the meantime PV solar's a tax
dependent sop to the greens. Solar thermal can be useful though, as can
intelligent solar gain in buildings.

And when car companies perfect the PHEV and GM's well on the way to
introducing 2 models in the next few years, we can radically reduce our
dependence on oil for transport.

So where does the power come from ? Nukes of course. Proven safe in the west,
the latest generation are better than ever. France's Areva has now even sold
I think it's 6 x 1.6GW plants to CHINA. With CLEAN fuel re-processing (when
required - store the used fuel safely maybe for the time being) that could
keep us in energy for many centuries if not millenia.

And then there's CHP (combined heat and power) or co-gen if you prefer. Put
the 'waste' heat from power plants to good use such as in some Scandinavian
countries.

Graham