Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Rust INSIDE a shed

On Sep 21, 1:45*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"mrl859" wrote in message

I have an Arrow brand steel shed. Although I have never seen water inside,
the inner roof is coated with rust. Additionally, anything steel inside
the shed is rusted, even things that I know could not have gotten wet. Any
ideas? Lack of ventilation? The floor is plywood on top of Arrows supplied
foundation kit. Help?

Lack of ventilation and condensation. *Is there a moisture barrier atop the
ground the shed sits on? *That plywood is of little help and may be rotting
on the underside. *Given the right atmospheric conditions, the warm moist
air can condense and coat everything inside. *I once saw my tablesaw top
rust before my eyes as it was cold and a warm moist breeze came in when I
opened the door.

Agree: Probably condensation.
We added a door ventilator to one of our sheds to try and keep the
temp. inside closer to outside. Although shed, built of scrap wood was
pretty leaky anyway.
Also; where is moisture coming from? Changes of tempeartire during
humid weather or when raining? Damp floor? What is often called
'Rising Damp' due to lack of vapour barrier between floor and ground?
That's one reason have always built our sheds/cabins above ground on
posts to allow air space below