Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_3_] krw[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: What's Next?

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Han wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote in news:zksBk.16947
:

It ain't just corporate America - our lawmakers have devised a scheme
whereby they have run up over $4 trillion of debt called "trust funds"
that they claim are assets. Same accounting deceitful practices used by
Enron. Been going on since FDR.

I don't think it was ever a trust fund in the sense of being set aside for
the future. That's just ostrich mentality. All it ever was was a way to
fund retirements from current workers' income taxes.

And now FICA taxes hould be leveled on ALL income, earned and unearned, so
the fat cats pay a little more of the War costs. Although it would mean I
would pay more taxes too.

The "fat cats" are already paying the "war costs".
I'd be all for that so long as:

1) The money *had* to be used to fund SS/Medicare/Medicaid and any
surplus had to be banked and untouchable for other purposes.

How exactly does the government "bank" anything?

What I meant was that any surplus derived hereby would have to be use
to accelerate the retirement of the SS system and /or pay for benefits.
It could not be redirected to general budget items. And, yes, the
government could "bank" money - they could open a savings account

A very bad idea. How much money does that "savings account" have to
have in it before it grossly warps the market worse than deficit
spending does? How much direct influence does the federal
government have to have in the private sector before...

--
Keith