Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: What's Next?

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Han wrote:

Again, no matter what you think the rhetoric implied, retirements ar
paid from current taxes, if you really want to have a real
retirement, it is up to you, through your union (puke), employer
(double puke), 401K, IRA or what have you. SS is just a drop in the
bucket, not really enough to live on.

And yet, a large number of retired people do just that.

It would put a real crimp in my lifestyle. I hope my other investments
don't go the way of my Lehman stock. Not that I would choose single
investments for something like my pension.

Consider, if you would, the situation faced by the retired spouse or
parent(s) of a cancer patient when all available resources had been
spent on medical treatments.

Note that I also said that affordable health insurance at a certain
minimal level should be compulsory, and it should be possible to augment
it to one's heart's content. I think that's were we get to the point
were individual responsibility needs to take over. At what point is
treatment only prolonging life, and who has to decide? Very difficult
but necessary questions.

Consider also what happens when pension fund (of whatever kind) is
rendered valueless through no fault of the retiree.

It is always the fault of the retiree (well, almost always). Pension
funds should be very diversified. Just Enron stock is criminal - both
for the employee and the employer.

As far as Medicare/Medicaid/health insurance is concerned, I believe
that a certain fairly low level should be compulsory. Add-on
insurance should be affordable, and available at different levels of
benefits and premiums. It should also be underestood that smoking or
other dangerous habits should carry a penalty.

Hmm. Have you ever tried making a list of "dangerous practices"? Off
the top of my head...

Some answers ...

Smoking

I stopped in 1976
Firefighting
Motorcycling

Never done that, unless a oped when I was around 20 counts.
Holding a microwave transmitter against the side of your skull

Does a cell phone count?
Entering a conflict zone
Entering a disaster zone

I work in NY City, in a Veterans Affairs Hospital (but they don't pay me)
Teaching in an inner city school

Son-in-law teaches Math in Paterson NJ, daughter in a not too much better
area. They are enjoying it tremendously, truely! And seeing
disadvantaged kids "get it" is a real treat.
Being a student in an inner city school
Working in law enforcement

That's Raoul
Residing in an [earthquake/tornado/flood/hurricane] zone
Driving a motor vehicle

I do that seldomly, and probably should be more careful.
Consuming alcohol

Never in excess. It makes me morose and sick. I guess I'm lucky

What is the nature of the penalty you would choose
(fine/imprisonment/exile/death/other)?

Sorry, increased insurance rates or reduced coverage or both, so among
your choices, it would be death grin.

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think
you've thought things through quite far enough...

You know or should know that I was born in Holland many years ago, and
came to the US in 1969, where I have been in HMOs ever since.

As far as thinking it through, I don't think you can ever think it
through completely.

--
Best regards
Han