Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default O/T: What's Next?

Han wrote:

Again, no matter what you think the rhetoric implied, retirements ar paid
from current taxes, if you really want to have a real retirement, it is
up to you, through your union (puke), employer (double puke), 401K, IRA
or what have you. SS is just a drop in the bucket, not really enough to
live on.

And yet, a large number of retired people do just that.

Consider, if you would, the situation faced by the retired spouse or
parent(s) of a cancer patient when all available resources had been
spent on medical treatments.

Consider also what happens when pension fund (of whatever kind) is
rendered valueless through no fault of the retiree.

As far as Medicare/Medicaid/health insurance is concerned, I believe that
a certain fairly low level should be compulsory. Add-on insurance should
be affordable, and available at different levels of benefits and
premiums. It should also be underestood that smoking or other dangerous
habits should carry a penalty.

Hmm. Have you ever tried making a list of "dangerous practices"? Off the
top of my head...

Smoking
Firefighting
Motorcycling
Holding a microwave transmitter against the side of your skull
Entering a conflict zone
Entering a disaster zone
Teaching in an inner city school
Being a student in an inner city school
Working in law enforcement
Residing in an [earthquake/tornado/flood/hurricane] zone
Driving a motor vehicle
Consuming alcohol

What is the nature of the penalty you would choose
(fine/imprisonment/exile/death/other)?

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you've
thought things through quite far enough...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar