Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August Dave August is offline

Default Device to measure axial forces on lathe ?

Umm... Some confusion on exactly what you are doing but if I'm reading
between the lines correctly,

When you say "polishing the face of a large lot of cylinders" I'll assume
you mean the "round part" and since you didn't specify inside or out I'll
assume out...

With all those *assumptions*.. uh why not make a real "prony brake".

Build some type of hinge on your tool post.

Measure distance from hinge point to centerline of work.

Make bar 6 time longer than distance to centerline (or 3 times or what ever
you like) and hook to hinge so one end is just under cylinder and other end
hangs over tool post.

Put 2000 grit on short end of bar under cylinder facing upwards.

Place weight of choice at other end of bar and polish...

Adjust weights till you like the finish...

Exact force can be calculated by multiplying weight by bar length... e.g. 3
foot bar hinged at 1 foot point, with weight out at 2 foot end from hinge
is multiply weight by 2. 6 foot bar would have weight 5 feet out, multiply
by 5....

--.- Dave (who could design a computer controlled servo with several force
gauges to do this with a snazzy readout and keypad for data entry and
ethernet link so you could control it from around the world, but... why?)

wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to convert a process I have from an art-form to a
science.
I simply hand-polishing the face of a large lot of cylinders, each for
about a minute with 2000-grit sandpaper, but would like to keep the
pressure consistent. What device can I install to the lathe that will
report how much axial forces are being transmitted ? The lathe I am
using is a small Sherline benchtop.

Thanks.
Marcel