Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Is the underfloor radiant heat viable in my case?

On Sep 21, 3:32*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering converting two of my hot water radiators to an
underfloor heating system. A friend of mine, who is marginally more
knowledgeable than me when it comes to radiant heating, alerted me
that depending on volume of flow or rate of flow or the length of
piping or some other such thing, it just might not be viable. The
argument is that if the pvc piping is too long, the drag might prevent
the water from circulating well.

Here's a picture of what I currently have, kind of:

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

On the left and on the right, you are seeing two pipes (galvanized?,
3"?) that go to the radiators. You can see smaller pipes (3/4", I'm
pretty sure) branching off and traveling to the actual radiators that
I would like to remove. Further down, they are connected to copper
pipes that go into the radiators.

I'm not sure if this information is at all useful, but if it is,
please tell me what you think about the viability of underfloor
heating in this case.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

You need a pro to run btu numbers and draw up a set up, radiant heat
might run at 110f while at the same time on a cold day the radiators
might go to 180f. Its done all the time but it has to be done right.