Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.

HeyBub wrote:
So far as I recall, the ONLY unique hazards connected with a microwave are
its interference with some, older, pacemakers and exacerbating cataracts if
you put your eyeball in the oven. If you were using a megawatt radar dish
to warm you chocolate bar, you might get a hot hand, but otherwise...

That's essentially true, altho there are other specific hazards (one
being the testes are extremely temperature sensitive, but we'll not
explore that one further here ).

If shielding is in place and no seal leaks, etc., there's very little
evidence of any problem. The question here is how much the removed
cover is actually shielding as opposed to the cosmetic cover.

I'd reiterate the suggestion to at least slide the cover back on the
unit and then not stay in the immediate vicinity (as in hover over it
waiting) while it's on as probably being reasonable precautions.

If that proves excessively difficult, starting it and leaving the room
completely would still undoubtedly be ok. (Staying probably would, too,
but since one can't tell where there might be a fairly strong beam
unless and until there's evidence of heating, caution is better than
not. The cataract thing is long term damage and why take excessive
chance kind of reasoning.)