Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bfrabel@hotmail.com is offline

Default Is the underfloor radiant heat viable in my case?

Anything is possible, but there is more to it than just ripping out
the radiators and replacing them with plastic pipe. Your house was
set up and balanced for radiators. You can not mix different types of
heating on the same boiler loop. This is due to the fact that
different materials heat up and cool down at different rates and it
will be impossible to balance. If you want to do this, you will need
to repipe and seperate the system into different zones with seperate
thermostats to control them. With the large steel piping that you
have, that won't be easy. Good luck.

On Sep 21, 8:11*am, PerryOne wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:32 am, Aaron Fude wrote: Hi,

I'm considering converting two of my hot water radiators to an
underfloor heating system. A friend of mine, who is marginally more
knowledgeable than me when it comes to radiant heating, alerted me
that depending on volume of flow or rate of flow or the length of
piping or some other such thing, it just might not be viable. The
argument is that if the pvc piping is too long, the drag might prevent
the water from circulating well.

Here's a picture of what I currently have, kind of:

http://freeboundaries.com/tight.jpg

Under floor heating is great, as long as you do not encase the pipe in concrete.

Concrete is slow to warm up and even slower to cool down.
If the sun shines in the room, you can find the room gets very hot,
with the suns heat
and the remaining heat in the floor.
Go for a light weight floor, plywood is good, room will heat quicker
and cool quicker.
If your existing circulator/pump is set medium or low, then (provided
the floor area isn't too big)
the pump will probably manage. If the room is large, then adding
another pump to help the
water through the new pipe is easy. (Or you can swap to a more
powerful pump)
Perry