Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.

On Sep 21, 9:06*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal
surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) *It's very hard to
do anything. *I live alone.

I have a small microwave whhich had an intermittent fuse. This
happened a week before I was hospitaized, and I hadn't fixed it yet.
It would be great to have hot food. *I can replace the fuse but
finding and getting and and putting on the metal cover, the cabinet,
is probably beyond me. *It it safe to use without that outside cover?
How far away would I have to be?

What if I do find the cover but I can't do more than lay it on top, in
place, but can't even put one screw in. *Does the cover help at all
wihout any screws? * What about one screw? *Does the screw have to be
in tight?

Thanks a lot.

So far as I recall, the ONLY unique hazards connected with a microwave are
its interference with some, older, pacemakers and exacerbating cataracts if
you put your eyeball in the oven. If you were using a *megawatt radar dish
to warm you chocolate bar, you might get a hot hand, but otherwise...

Other hazards, that a microwave shares with a toaster, are electric shock
from exposed components or possibly a fire.- Hide quoted text -

I used to do Amana warranty work and we had one of those testers for
checking for leakage. It made the customers feel all warm and fuzzy. I
have tested numerous ones with the cover off and never found a
significant amount of leakage so getting nuked is not the problem.
There could be some lethal voltages exposed with the cover off, to me
that is the real issue.

Jimmie