Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NJ sales tax on HVAC

"alta47" wrote in message
. ..
So, what turned out to be the final answer? Did you ever get that figured
out?

I tried reading as much as I could and I couldn't figure it out. To me,
the wording on everything I read is ambiguous, and I know from experience
that trying to find an actual answer regarding tax questions on the New
Jersey website is virtually impossible. Calling the State is even worse.

If I have a new HVAC system installed to replace an old one: 1) do I have
to pay tax on the equipment?; 2) does the tax question depend on whether I
buy the equipment or the contractor buys it?; and, 3) do I have to pay tax
on the contractor's labor to install it?

Thanks.

Can't speak for NJ, but I just bought a new thermostat for my heat. No
sales tax. Surprised me, actually, since CT taxes things like breathing and
blinking your eyes.