Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:11:21 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrolled the following:

There was or still is a stretch of very high tension power lines in New Jersey
that handled 1 Million volts. It was a sight as we drove under them to visit
Dad at Bell Labs.

Near the end of a long trip and wondering what the heck. The area near the
lines were bare of all living plants. Not any grass. The High voltage
produced long lines of purple light about each of the three phases.

It was a test line being tested in the field. Thought of the national grid...

Think how much gasoline that would save, with all those self-mowing
utility median strips! The national grid is at 2/3 that power
now, isn't it? Hmm, Wiki lists more. Quebec has a 735kV lineset.
Brazil has the highest DC, 600kV HVDC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...r_transmission

Russia has a 1,150kV AC line for 268 miles, the highest ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerli...stuz-Kokshetau

Electric field will excite gas - simply by adding energy to an electron - it
raising in a new quanta shell for a while and then when least expected
(uncertainly principle) fall from this elevated shell and return to the normal
level, giving off a frequency of light proportional to that of the change in
radius. Nitrogen is purplish. Neon is orangish and is busted to red-orange
by other chemicals.

Beautiful, I'll bet. I wonder what color glow Eki produces...

The whole issue is to add energy to the atom within. RF or Heat or AF.

Ayup, I believe they achieved that.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.