Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is microwave safe without the outside cover screwed on.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:30:52 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , mm wrote:

I just got out of the hospital with a broken arm and abdominal
surgery. (you don't want to know the gory details) It's very hard to
do anything. I live alone.

I have a small microwave whhich had an intermittent fuse. This
happened a week before I was hospitaized, and I hadn't fixed it yet.
It would be great to have hot food. I can replace the fuse but
finding and getting and and putting on the metal cover, the cabinet,
is probably beyond me. It it safe to use without that outside cover?
How far away would I have to be?

What if I do find the cover but I can't do more than lay it on top, in
place, but can't even put one screw in. Does the cover help at all
wihout any screws? What about one screw? Does the screw have to be
in tight?

I am getting into a bit of a mood to pull out my Troll-O-Meter unit
to see if it gets a reading for someone who can load food into a microwave
oven and operate it and drag its cover onto it but is questioning need of
a screw or more than one screw.

Your meter will read zero if it works right. I'm not a troll, but a
guy who would like hot food, but has a hard time getting out of bed or
going down stairs. A friend straighted up for me, after the mess I
made vomiting 27 times, 27 heaves, before I started passing out and
broke my right arm, a rib on the left side, and did something to make
my left shoulder and side sore. Plus teh 25 staples in my belly that
just came out on Wednedsay, and much worse that I don't want to talk
about. I've only been able to type since Wednesday, when I got the
splint off and a smaller lighter cast instead.

But when straightening up, he "hid" the cover of the microwave cover
somewhere, and probably buried it under other stuff. For reasons that
don't matter to you, I can't call him to ask him and he wouldn't
remember such a detail if I did. If I find it my left arm might be
enough to get it, and if so I can certainly put it on, but the
original screws are no longer anywhere to be found in my kitchen and
the basement is not accessible. The last thing I want to do is fall
and ruin myself further. But maybe I can find one and the
screwdriver to go with it, although I don't think I can turn the
microwave backwards to get at the holes in the back.

Someday you may be in roughly the situation I'm in and you won't want
a wise-ass strutting how smart he thinks he is when he's not.

So don't be a jackass, and either answer my questions as best you can,
or sit quietly and maybe someone else will.

- Don Klipstein )