Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Certified Heating And Air Tech Nate Certified Heating And Air Tech is offline

Default Anyone familiar with code for Glenville, NY (Schenectady County)?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:38:56 GMT, Rich Weed
wrote:

Is it allowed to install a gas furnace in a closet such that there is no
return installed? The door is louvered, so the furnace sucks the air from
inside the closet that comes through the vents in the door.

I ask because a joint in the PVC exhaust (it's the warmer of the two PVC
tubes (3"? in diameter)) has no glue, is leaking water, and easily pulls
apart.

Strangely, I turned on the heat for a short period with my CO detector
there and pulled the tube apart and it didn't go off...does that mean the
detector is bad? The exhaust does have CO in it, doesn't it?

No return would mean the exhaust gets distributed throughout the
apartment...

tia, Rick

DUDE!!!!! Get a licensed heating and air tech to look at it before you
kill yourself!