Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY Vacuum Tube Maker

The silver looking stuff in Tubes is mercury.
The getter was a pan of mercury and it was excited by an RF probe after
the tube was sealed on the line to oxidize itself so when the filament
is heated to red to red-white in color it would last many hours.

I've made tubes that you could pass a lunch box through without touching
sides. The filament was as large as a pencil. It was a research tube.
The largest I have put my hand on was 15 feet tall. The smallest was just
larger than a pencil eraser.

I taught Tube design (circuit) and later, taught EE's who knew tubes
solid state. So I had to know both designs and show relationships.

Eimac was the maker of Power transmitting tubes. I think of pyramid tubes
and potato sized kilowatt transmitting rubes. TV and Radio as well as
military used them. I think I have one or two in the shop. They used
to advertise in ELECTRONICS magazine in the 50's. Those were the years.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

James Waldby wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:43:09 -0700, Roger Shoaf wrote:
This post brings me back a bit. One of my friends fathers worked for a
vacuum tube manufacturer (Eimac) and would patently explain any question
presented by one of the boys hanging out in his garage.

I remember him explaining that the silver you saw on the inside of a
tube was the last step in removing all of the oxygen from the tube.
When the tube had been pumped down and sealed off, there was a heating
element that would vaporize a but of silver and the vapor would bond
with the remaining oxygen and condense on the inside of the tube. The
term for this was a getter as it would "get" the last bits of stray
oxygen.

I don't know whether silver is ever used as a getter; the usual
getter is barium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube
says zirconium is used in large tubes, and phosphorus was used in
some early tubes.

This was the same guy that thought us how to drill a hole in glass using
a copper tube and a slurry of abrasive restrained by a clay dam. He
also explained why it was a real pain to drill stainless steel and
showed us how it could be done by holding pressure on the quill of the
drill press with one hand and using the other hand to turn the pulley.
No destroyed bit and no work hardening of the stainless.