Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Thanks. That's interesting. I wonder if Apple still follow your procedure?

I doubt it. It was very useful when one wanted an instrumented notebook to be
cosmetically very similar to an un-instrumented unit or when a notebook *had* to
be reassembled properly after inspection. That was admittedly somewhat rare.

However, it gave me confidence to know that I *could* restore the notebook
to nearly 'as manufactured' status if I needed to. Without some record of
where all the fasteners went, that would have been impossible.

Doubtlessly they are still using a zero-cost technique I gave them for greatly
improving the reliability of a wiring harness used in every notebook, however.

--Winston