Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

James Waldby wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:09:10 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Winston wrote:

Also works at Audio Frequencies:
http://www.goodlivingtips.co.uk/phot...hard_box_2.png

That picture looks fake. There's no indication of anything supporting
the tubes, and you would expect it to show, either as a shadow against
the brighter sky, or by reflected light from the tubes.

You are mistaken. The first few links at
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2
have the details re "Richard Box, artist-in-residence at Bristol University"
setting up 1301 fluorescent tubes in a farmer's field in Bath, England in 2004.
Eg, http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14259 and
http://deathby1000papercuts.blogspot...-line-art.html
have more pictures and explanations.

I stand corrected. I must admit, I'm rather surprised. Does the same
thing happen in brick or wooden buildings under high voltage power lines
in cities?

I'm not sure that the "making use of wasted energy" claimed is correct,
though. I have a suspicion that a field full of fluorescent tubes may
draw more power from the lines than an empty field.

Best wishes,

Chris