Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling crack advice please

In article ,
robert wrote:
We have a ceiling with a smooth emulsion finish, unfortunately long
cracks appear in the course of every few years - one along the line of a
plasterboard joint and two others that are not in line with the
plasterboards.

I have repaired them with a d-i-y filler (made up polyfilla or similar)
in the past but have decided to do something that will hopefully be a
bit more permanent this time.

I have raked the cracks out - the depth appears to be around 10mm and
was wondering about applying a gap filling adhesive (No more nails?) in
the apex of the crack and finishing it off with either a light weight
sandable filler which I imagine will give the finish most likely to
blend in once painted or possibly caulk which I understand has the
benefit of being slightly flexible but may not blend in as well as the
sandable filler.

I've found a good flexible caulk works well - but since it shrinks and
can't be sanded you'll need three or four goes to get the crack level.
Which takes rather more time than other fillers. But seems to be worth the
effort.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.