Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Roof - snow removal

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
BuckK wrote:
I have a two-story home with a metal roof. I bought the home three
years ago. Every year ice builds up on the roof ans slowly slides
off. Last year it became 6 inches thick and when it finally let go it
destroyed my metal bulkhead and damaged my chimney. I'd like to
remove the snow before it turns to ice. Is there a roof rake that
will reach the top of my house (the peak is almost 50 feet from the
ground)? Any other alternatives?

Thanks!

Damaged your chimney? How so? You need a stronger bulkhead and perhaps a
little building over it. You need to get the snow to start sliding off
the roof sooner while it's still soft. Why doesn't it? Maybe you need to
coat the metal roof with something slick. I assume it's not a modern
metal roof, those let the snow slide easily. The old galvanized/painted
ones can be too ruff and rusted. Or is it a slope problem, not enough
roof angel.

Can't see your house from here. What do you mean by bulkhead? A picture
with a link would help. A flat porch roof, maybe?
As to the chimney- if it isn't at the peak of the roof, it should have a
cricket uphill from it to divert snow and rain around it.

Best course of action may be a site survey by 2 or 3 professional
roofers in your area, that have metal roof experience. (Many do not.)
They know the local climate and codes, and hopefully know what works.
No, it won't be cheap, but steep roof work 50 feet off the ground is
generally not a good idea for DIY anyway. Stuff that can kill you is no
place to cut corners.

--
aem sends...