Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Fire extinguisher gas.

"Bob M." wrote
"terry" wrote

But we have an older one too good to throw away. Taking it in for
formal recharge which includes pressure test etc. will cost more than
buying a new, but of lesser quality, extinguisher. Which seems ironic!

How do you know it's of lesser quality? It still puts out the fire
doesn't it? Metal handle vs plastic? Metal handles bend, plastic ones
can break. Both are poor quality if designed poorly, both are high quality
if designed right.

True. I still need to get 2 more refilled here but havent yet. The charge
is still 'in the green' but just barely. This isnt so much 'leakage' as
loss from testing them annually.

1 is in the kitchen (no, not over the stove like so many idiots do). 1 is
in the hall where the 3 bedrooms come off of, 1 in the laundry room off the
garage, and 1 is on the screened porch by the BBQ.

It the screened porch one that costs alot. Has to be rated for exterior
climate. They are all small CO2 ones except the BBQ unit, I just have them
refilled til they fail pressure tests.

Oh, you can in many places get them tested and refilled for free (CO2 types
only) at the local fire-station. Costs nothing to call them and just ask.
Here it's free but not everywhere.

For those not aware, you shouldnt have halon inside. It's toxic when it
hits flames so unless you have some sort of OBA to wear when using it, not
smart.

Having 4 home extinguishers might seem a little strange if you've never had
a fire but Don and I have been in several shipboard ones (Navy) so we take
care of our home safety well.