Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Roof - snow removal

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:53:13 -0700 (PDT), BuckK
wrote:

I have a two-story home with a metal roof. I bought the home three
years ago. Every year ice builds up on the roof ans slowly slides
off. Last year it became 6 inches thick and when it finally let go it
destroyed my metal bulkhead and damaged my chimney. I'd like to
remove the snow before it turns to ice. Is there a roof rake that
will reach the top of my house (the peak is almost 50 feet from the
ground)? Any other alternatives?

Thanks!

I doubt it, and even if they did it would be unmanageable. I have one
with 3 extensions totaling 20 feet, and it's a real workout to use,
especially if there's any wind at all.

If you're not having trouble with ice dams, just worried about snow
sliding off, have a roofer install the little brackets designed to
prevent the snow from sliding. I don't know what they are called, but
they are common around here on older houses with steep slate roofs
that are very prone to snow slides. It's common to see one or two
rows of the little brackets installed 2-3 feet from the roof's edge.
Don't know if they can be used on metal roofs, but worth asking.

HTH,

Paul F.