Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cerberus . Cerberus . is offline

Default Sky boxes

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:09:33 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:39:10 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

I looked into doing that - but I'm no good on tall ladders,

Dish doesn't have to high provided it can see the right bit of the sky it
can be at ground level but might need to keep vegetation in check in front
of it...

Ours is just out my arms reach so about 9' up, accessable only a few rungs
up a short ladder. It's deliberatly low, partly to shelter it from the
wind and partly so I can hit it with a stick to knock the ice off when
enough accumulates to stop the signal. Had to do that twice so far.

I have a dish fixed to the chimney stack & had nothing but problems with it
if it was windy/rained/snowed, even crows perching on it! In the end I
fixed another dish to the fence in the rear garden. 1m off the ground, 20m
from the house in a nice secluded spot where it's not affected by the
elements or birdlife.

Don.