Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Ceiling crack advice please

"robert" wrote in message

We have a ceiling with a smooth emulsion finish, unfortunately long cracks
appear in the course of every few years - one along the line of a
plasterboard joint and two others that are not in line with the
plasterboards.

I have repaired them with a d-i-y filler (made up polyfilla or similar) in
the past but have decided to do something that will hopefully be a bit
more permanent this time.

I have raked the cracks out - the depth appears to be around 10mm and was
wondering about applying a gap filling adhesive (No more nails?) in the
apex of the crack and finishing it off with either a light weight sandable
filler which I imagine will give the finish most likely to blend in once
painted or possibly caulk which I understand has the benefit of being
slightly flexible but may not blend in as well as the sandable filler.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or comments.

--

Our 1930s semi has settled over the decades and cracks appeared across the
corners of rooms. A couple of years ago I was fed up of seeing the ones in

Sorry, I can't remember which it was.

I smoothed the filler with my wet finger then painted the ceiling.

If I look intently at the ceiling I can see where the cracks were but it
really isn't important, the paint isn't interrupted by black lines of the
cracks.

I was very pleased with the result. Amazingly, so were several of our
pernickety 'children' who have been complaining about the state of that
ceiling for very many years. I was surprised that they even noticed!

Oh - I didn't rake out anything, simply filled and smoothed.

Mary