Posted to uk.d-i-y
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:16:18 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:43:29 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

(Aside: if anybody needs one, try this - it's simple but it works well
and costs almost nothing:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4439)

It is almost certainly the limitations of such cheap testers that caused
the confusion about this install in the first place. The correct pins
are wired to the correct pins but with the same wiring error at each
end. Thus the signals between the two sockets are not being sent over
the twisted pairs of wires which is essential for the connection to
work.

I hope that the "installation engineer" that did this work has learnt
something from his reliance on his cheap tester...

The perils of answering before reading the whole thread...

Oh well, I do use a TDR for work testing and only use the cheapo for home
jobs.. and I've never had the same colour swapping problem that this one
turned out to be. Found plenty of bad connections and shorts with a
cheapy tester, which TBH in a circuit that 'used to work' is all that's
likely to happen.

I have seen some cables with such small dabs of such faint colours that
it was hard to figure out which was which without following it back to
the twisted bits, though.