Posted to alt.home.repair
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Generator Livin'

I'm at day 7 in Cincinnati off the grid - which is nothing to cry about
considering the carnage in Texas!

I have a 30 year old 3500 watt generator from Sears. So far, it's
working fine. But I've been reading some of the threads about inverter
generators (which I had never heard of) and I would like to get some
opinions. I pulled the battery from my Ford Explorer and I use it at
night along with this:

During the day I recharge the car battery using a separate 12V output on
the generator that provides up to 8 amps. Funny, I used to wonder why
the hell I would need this. Anyway, today I am going to have to run my
business desktop PC for a while. Would I be better off hooking the car
battery to the generator 12V to keep it charged, then also hooking up
the inverter and running the PC off of it? I realize that I have a
cheap inverter but would the power out of it be less likely to feed a
spike or low voltage to my PC than this tired old generator? Or maybe
just charge the battery for a few hours and then just use the battery
and the inverter and do my work quickly?

This is the best photo I've found so far of the generator and the guy
has the engine partially disassembled:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/...7203ec.jpg?v=0