Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default How to move a Bridgeport

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:43:57 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:00:38 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
This has been asked here before, but it's been awhile.

Series II machine. Not sure of table length.

OK, I gather this is a Series-II manual machine, that should weigh
around 3500 Lbs.

A 35" door sounds like a problem. I've moved a Series-I through a
narrow door, the trick is to angle one end of the table through, crank
the table to the other end and swing the rest of the machine through.
I can't say for sure, but I suspect the Series-II will NOT make it
through a 35" door without removing the table.

Thanks for all of the comments. I didn't realize the Series II was
substantially bigger. I have not seen the machine other than in
photos, but it sounds like it's not worth the trip to actually see it
(abt 2 hours). Guess I'll wait till there's a Series I within
reasonable driving distance.

I'm starting to watch the eBay sales to get a better feel for price.
Wish I'd lived closer to Bridgeport, CT. A well tooled Series I that
looked to be in unusally good condition went for $2200 yesterday.

Thanks for the comments. If there are any more suggestions though,
keep them coming.

RWL

Look around for a Lagun. A superior machine to the Bridgeport, in my
opinion.

Id rather have a Lagun that a Bridgeport, conditon being equal

Gunner, machine tool mechanic