Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Sky boxes

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:08:01 +0100 someone who may be Andy Burns
wrote this:-

I've seen some people complaining that the freesat boxes are lower
quality, I don't know if they're right, but you can judge that for
yourself in the shop.

There are only two manufactures of receivers at the moment. The
Bush, Grundig and Goodmans ones are the same thing inside different
boxes. The other manufacturer is Humax, who only make an HD one. The
quality is at least as good as the ones with a Sky badge on the
front, which isn't saying much.

By contrast there are many manufacturers of FTA receivers and one
can select from a far wider range of products with a far wider range
of quality.

Will more manufacturers take up Freesat? No idea. The UK now has two
non-standard EPG systems, Sky and Freesat. This strikes me as quite
mad given that there is a perfectly good standard EPG system
available, which many German channels use. Unless lots of people
adopt Freesat I doubt if many manufacturers will think it worthwhile
producing special software for the UK, especially as to get the
Freesat logo there are restrictions placed on the hardware and
software. Two examples of this are only having "Freesat channels" on
the main programme list and cutting off the YPbPr output on
some/many broadcasts for the most silly of reasons.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh