Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Drying hot-rolled steel in kiln for wood?

I saw a guy going over some hot-rolled steel bar with a blow torch
recently. When I asked what he was doing he said he was evaporating
the moisture from it. Sure enough - I watched it myself. The process
is that he'll fabricate the chair, blow torch the whole thing, then
rub beeswax all over it. Seems pretty labor intensive. I'm wondering
if we couldn't just put the whole dozen chairs in our wood kiln for a
few days and achieve the same effect. Any thoughts?

(Note: our kiln has a dehumidifying unit, but only reaches temps of
maybe 100F.)

JP
Also posted to rec.woodworking.