Jeff Gorman

Default smoothing plane

"Conan the Librarian" wrote

: Dmitri wrote in message
:
: Please excuse my ignorance as I am newbie, but what does make plane a
: smoothing plane. Is it a small mouth opening or there is some deeper
: magic?
:
: Yes. :-) For nasty woods, you need a plane with a small mouth and
: a solidly-bedded, extremely sharp, thick iron (to reduce chatter).
: You also need to be able to set it for a very light cut.
:
: There are lots of variables, including the presence or absence (or
: positioning) of a cap iron, the flatness of the sole (actually, a sole
: that is "coplanar"), the bedding angle of the iron, and how you hold
: your mouth when you plane. :-)

This gives me an excuse to say that yesterday I upgraded my web site page
'Planing Notes' - 'Coping With Gnarly Grain' with an extra pic of some maple
prior to planing with a standard Stanley #5, fulfilling the criteria that
Chuck outlines.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK