Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood for toys

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:04:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make some wooden toys for my kids, but I'm not really sure
what the best wood to use is, could you guys advise? I obviously want
to use a wood that won't splinter and which is quite hardwearing. What
would you suggest?

I haven't done any woodwork for years (since school), but would really
like to make a couple of things for the kids.

Thanks,
Stuart

www.ourscape.co.uk

Most any hardwoods would work. Cherry, maple, oak are very common
with shellac finish. Poplar is an excellent choice if you plan to
paint.