Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default How to move a Bridgeport

Jon Elson wrote:
David Billington wrote:

I'm not sure what the series 2 is but my belt change BP went through
a 2' 6" doorway with the 42" x 9" table in place. I just wound the
table all the way to one end, then angled the BP so the table could
be wound all the way to the other end through the doorway, then
pushed the BP through. The base being about 24" wide it was no
problem. The BP was being moved on flat concrete on 1" diameter steel
bars and a pry bar.

The Series-II Bridgeport is a totally different machine, and MUCH
larger than the traditional (Series-I) machines everybody thinks of
first. It is about 7 feet tall, weighs 3500 Lbs or so in the manual
version and much more as a CNC. The manual machine has 15" of Y
travel, the Series-I only 12". Everything is scaled up bigger. The
knee ways are box ways instead of dovetail.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks, I was shortly going to look up the series 2 to see what it was
but you comment brings back some memories suggesting it is a much larger
machine.