Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Electrifying the summer house... gosh!

wrote:

And to sound off on ring circuits vis-a-vis radials: weren't rings in
part devised to cope with post-WW2 copper shortages - wouldn't it be

They were... although

'greener' to continue using rings as radial usage would increase
copper usage.

Prolly better to use whichever is most appropriate for the particular
circumstances. Depending on layout a ring might use more copper than a
4mm^2 radial anyway.

And another thing...with all the campaigning to minimise the use of
'standby' rather than physically 'off' switches, and encourage people
to unplug mobile phone chargers and the suchlike when not in use,
won't the requirements for RCDs significantly increase base-load power
consumption? All the RCDs I've come across dissipate a few watts.
Replacing all the rewireable fuses in my consumer unit with RCBOs; or
indeed replacing sockets with ones that have RCD protection build in
will increase consumption.

Can't say I have ever noticed a RCD getting warm, but then again I have
never measured their power consumption. Either way, you can't expect
joined up thinking from the government can you?

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |