Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Shed ramp question

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:58:38 -0400, JohnnyC wrote:

Due to the height of a shed floor and the slope of the yard, I need to make
a ramp that is about 6 to 7ft long. The ramp needs to support up to 700lbs.

If I put the joists of the ramp 12" on center, can I use 2x6 PT lumber or do
I need something more substantial like a 2x8"? Also, should put some kind
of support in the middle of the ramp?

Thank you for your time.

I put joist hangers 16' on center across the front of the door low enough
for 2x4 PT joist that are cut at an angle to rest on the ground. I allowed
enough room for 3/4 decking only because that is what I had available as
scrap. I painted the bottom side of the plywood with old drained motor oil
as a precaution. Nothing to support this move other than I had an old
paint brush, freshly drained motor oil, and I figured wasps wouldn't want
to build under the ramp this way.

I built the ramp and screwed it together with drywall screws. That
is something else I had in abundance. Ring nails would have worked but I
would have had to delay the project to get them. I covered the ramp deck
with old vinyl that is commonly used to protect carpet first.

On a trip to one of the "Big Box Stores" HD in this case I checked for
roof shingles and it happened that there was a broken bundle with a few
shingles missing. The manager for that area marked the partial bundle down
to the point I dare not refuse to bring it home to cover the ramp. I put
hand rails on each side to prevent me from walking off of the side of the
ramp without thinking an twisting my ankle again at night.

Photos at links below.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/s7001345.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/s7001344.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/s7001343.jpg