Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Can I put a coffee warmer on a dimmer switch?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:34:10 -0500, "Rick Brandt"
wrote:

Boden wrote:
Yes. It's a resistive load, just like a light bulb. I find it
difficult to believe that 15 amps is correct, that would be 1800 watts
which will do far more than warm a coffee pot.

If you use the Lutron dimmer, make sure that the warmer is under 300
watts, or get one a bit more robust.

If it's controlled by a thermostat wouldn't lowering the voltage just make
it take longer to reach the same temp?

I don't think it is controlled by a thermostat. I think it is just on.
At least, it doesn't appear to have any kind of temperature control.