Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Materials

On Sep 19, 4:22*am, KLS wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:39:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Sep 17, 9:25*pm, KLS wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:40:57 -0700 (PDT), mike

wrote:
Stainless steel will look the best in the long run. *White sinks get a
dingy, grungy look way too easily. *Stainless cleans up easily.
Besides, stainless steel below the counter won't look nearly as
"industrial" as a giant stainless steel refrigerator.

This is our experience as well; we are very happy with our undermount
stainless steel sink after living with a nice white, but
maintenance-intensive high-end Kohler cast iron sink.

What exactly is so maintenance intensive about a Kohler cast iron
sink? * I have one and find it's very easy to keep clean. * I use
mostly just dishwashing soap and water to clean it, occasionally soft
scrub for anything that is harder to remove and it cleans up very
easily. *I've had stainless too, and can't say that there is any big
difference in how easy it is to keep either sink clean.

The white cast iron showed dirt almost instantly, sending the OCD
individual in this house into a tizzy just about any time it was used
and not immediately cleaned up, whereas the stainless is less obvious.

Yes, I see your point.

The other thing for us was that periodically we had to bleach the cast
iron sink (this one was 20+ years old) to get stains out, something we
don't have to do with the stainless.- Hide quoted text -

For anything that doesn't just wash off, I use Soft Scrub that comes
with bleach already in it.