Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Frugal HDTV (Pocket LCD 1" BW?)

wrote in message
I watch TV half an hour a month and don't care much for it. I have
three pocket 1" BW LCD TVs and I'm looking for the cheapest way to get
HDTV after February. If I had to pay more than fifty bucks I would
forego TV altogether.

OK, first, let's define terms. After February, you want to watch ATSC
television programming. If it's really HDTV you want to watch (High
Definition), then it doesn't make much sense to be looking for a cheap
television, as no cheap television is going to display HD resolution.

You can get a cheap TV with a digital tuner (ATSC) to watch TV after
February. But the cheapest you will find one is a 13" CRT set for about
$120 plus shipping.

If your budget is maxed at $50 though? Take a look at your computer. If
it's relatively recent (not ancient) and has an open PCI expansion slot, you
can get something like the following, plus ~$6 rabbit ears from wally world
(the antenna does NOT need to be "special" for digital programming...heck, a
coat hanger might work too) to turn your computer monitor and computer
speakers into a pretty decent HDTV!!!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...gtCjCVRqCjCVRq

If that link doesn't work just search froogle for ATSC PCI tuner
then sort by lowest price

Note the quality won't be great, but it will beat the heck out of a 1" BW
portable!!! And, it could possibly display real HD resolution digital
programming, depending on the quality of your computer monitor and video
card. -Dave