Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Device to measure axial forces on lathe ?

wrote:
Hi. I'm trying to convert a process I have from an art-form to a
science.
I simply hand-polishing the face of a large lot of cylinders, each for
about a minute with 2000-grit sandpaper, but would like to keep the
pressure consistent. What device can I install to the lathe that will
report how much axial forces are being transmitted ? The lathe I am
using is a small Sherline benchtop.

What you are asking for is called a dynamometer, but basically it is a
beam with strain gauges on it, and a readout box. A commercial setup
will cost at least 10x what the Sherline cost. You could make it, though.

Jon