Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Vaughn Simon wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

The problem with Muntz TVs was that they could not be repaired. Most TV
repair shops would refuse to touch a Muntz.

Not because they were inherently unrepairable, but because they were crap.
There was no way a service shop could end up with a happy customer, so they
learned not to try. You woud probably get the same reaction if you took your
Yugo to your mechanic for a tune up.

Some shops did work on them, but only on a time availible basis.
They were crap when they worked, but the crappy design made it difficult
to locate problems with common TV shop test equipment. I saw one in our
shop, in the early '70s. The price of the repair parts was more than the
set was worth.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.