Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Shed ramp question

"aemeijers" wrote in message
JohnnyC wrote:
Due to the height of a shed floor and the slope of the yard, I need to
make a ramp that is about 6 to 7ft long. The ramp needs to support up to
700lbs.

If I put the joists of the ramp 12" on center, can I use 2x6 PT lumber or
do I need something more substantial like a 2x8"? Also, should put some
kind of support in the middle of the ramp?

Thank you for your time.

Nobody else said it, so I will- go to local trailer place and get a couple
of those metal ramps the yard service companies and ATV owners use on
their trailers and trucks, so that they can drive the machines up from
ground level. A tad pricey, and you may have to modify the door threshold
to make them work, but they won't rot out and will basically last forever.
And you can unhook them and put them in the shed so you don't have to look
at them or mow around them when not in use.

As I already had them, that is what I use. I had gone to Lowes to get the
ramps to put my riding mower on my truck. Later when I got a building I use
the same ramps to get the mower in the shed. Just put them down , ride out,
mow, ride back in and put them up. They are aluminium so they do not weigh
that much.