Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sanding Hardwood Floor?

ransley wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:01 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Davej wrote:
Went to Home Depot yesterday and see they have two sanders for rent.
One is a belt sander and the other is a large orbital. Both are
intended for floors. I just need to take the varnish off an old
floor. Is the big orbital the best tool for this? The room is
15x20ft. Any idea how long this will take me or suggestions on the
grit to begin with? Thanks.

The belt sander is faster but unless you are experienced using one
it is very easy to dig big gouges in the floor. Get the orbital, it
will work fine and it is also easy to do corners with it. Start with
the coarsest grit available (24?) for the varnish removal and any
necessary leveling; once that is done, work up through at least 2
grits to remove marks left by the previous coarser grit; finish up
with the screen...it *is* a screen, not sandpaper. Total time? Been
a long while since I did it but - a guess
only - three hours.

Is he talking about a 24" orbital, it wont do corners, will it?

I figured he was talking about the big square/rectangular jobbies. If so, I
did corners when I used one.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...