Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon Vaughn Simon is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
My guess is that in the absence of spare parts, a modern TV will be impossible
to repair

MIGHT be impossible to repair...

, but an older TV may be repairable in the
hands of a knowledgeable person.

Possibly. I doubt if you can buy a new flyback coil, or even a CRT for a
70's television. Only a few types of tubes are manufactured these days, though
lots of old tubes are still on the market.

Information is perhaps the biggest problem. I know! This is the "information
age". But decades ago you could buy third-party service information for most
any consumer television or radio on the market. That information (Mostly Sam's
Photofacts) was in a standardized format and far superior to anything that the
manufacturers provided. I doubt if anything like that exists today. Further, I
believe that you will find that many manufacturers today consider their service
information proprietary, and don't even release it!

Vaughn