Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:02:07 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Most appliances are total crap nowadays. If you've moved a washer,
dryer, or fridge since about the year 2000, you'd have noticed that
they're about half the weight of their earlier counterparts; 1/3 the
weight of '50s items (many of which are still kicking.)

Yup, we just retired a 29 year old washing machine. The spin clutch
went out, and loads were going into the dryer wet and taking forever to
dry. The new machine was, indeed, half the weight or less of the old
one. But, it takes 50% more clothes per cycle, washes them with less
than half the water, and spins them nearly dry. I would have probably
replaced the transmission (at more $ than the washer originally cost)
but it was no longer available. I worry about all the electronic
controls, as we get a lot of lightning.

The dryer I got at the same time was replaced a long time ago, after
several big burnouts of the heating element. The fridge is still
running, and shows no sign of trouble. I'm fairly impressed with that.

Even the salesman said that the new washer would not likely last 29 years!

Jon

Neither will I. My washer, dryer, dishwasher were bought 1978, while
the beer fridge started with my SiL in 1955. Second son now has the
washer and dryer.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada