Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sanding Hardwood Floor?

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
We used the oribital on a hundred yo oak floor that is about 12x30. We used
(and finished) with 20 grit. We spent about 24 actual sanding hours.
Looking back, we should have used the drum, but we were not familiar with
it's use and didn't want to ruin the first floor we tried. We have since
used the drum, and it takes some getting used to to avoid serious damage,
but if you have a place to practice for about 30 minutes, you'll be ok.

Another "trick" in learning/beginning is to start w/ a lesser grit
paper--the work won't go so fast, but you can get the hang of how to
handle the machine w/ much less danger of digging a serious gouge or
making depressions.

As Steve says, once you've got a little cockpit time, then you can go to
the real stuff w/ more confidence.