Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Propane/diesel?

"RAM³" wrote in message
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
RAM³ wrote:.

The goal of these systems is similar to Nitrous Oxide augmentation of
Gasoline engines: boosting power beyond normal output levels.

As with other augmentation approaches - "chipping", reprogramming,
etc. - one must be cautious lest one "blow" the engine.

Except that Nitrous Oxide adds oxidizer (free oxygen) to the engine. The
propane thing adds a different fuel (hydrocarbon). It is cleaner because
the ratio of hydrogen to carbon is higher. Not sure why it would be more
powerful.

Question: would you pay the money to have this done to your vehicle? A
'06 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo with 45k miles.

Steve

I'm driving an '03.5 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbo and, at most, would go with
a "programmer" so that I can maintain the Warranty on the Cummins.

I would most emphatically *NOT* put one of the Propane kits on *MY* truck.

If you're trying to run the engine strictly off of Propane, be advised
that you'll have to pony up the *taxes* for a road vehicle yourself since
most Propane dealers don't collect it. Most State Governments get pretty
anal about this issue.

If you're just wanting more HP/Torque, a "programmer" has, as I said,
disticnct advantages over a "hardware" approach.

If you don't care about the Warranty on your fine engine, head on over to
http://www.turbodieselregister.com where you'll find a whole lot of
power-boosting information from a big bunch of *serious* Cummins
Hot-Rodders. GRIN

BTW, My truck is primarily used to tow a 7-ton fifth-wheel RV around the
US West of the Big Muddy and, so far, I've not had much of a power issue
even on 10% grades like the drive into Mt. Rushmore.

I'm always open to new ideas, but I want to hear from others who have tried
them rather than me being the guinea pig.

That being said, I'm in no rush to go out and start tweaking my Cummins
turbo all over the place, as I think it runs fine as it is. Sure, it could
get more hp, or torque, or better mileage. But, hell, at 325 hp and 610
foot pounds of torque for a truck that runs empty most of the time, I don't
really think I need all that boost. I kind of grew out of that with
pubertyhood, although it's still fun to hot rod in the right places
occasionally.

I'm surely not in a hurry to start changing all sorts of major components.

The claims were very interesting, as I heard an extra 100hp, lots more
torque, and MUCH better mileage, approaching doubling the MPG. I filed it
mentally in the gas magnets/fuel additives category that the evil oil
companies and government stifled because they would ruin the economy and
mankind as we know it now.

I just wanted to know if anyone has done this, how it works, what's the
downsides, etc.

I'm going to have to hear a lot more positives before I even consider this,
and I think I've already made up my mind.

Steve