Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke[_2_] Mike Clarke[_2_] is offline

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

wrote:

The only thing missing in this feast of information is how the
individual pins are numbered on the socket. *I can find how they're
numbered on the cable, but not the socket.

Most sockets have numbered and colour coded labels beside the connectors.
It's a bit hard to identify the labels from your rather dark photo but I've
put a copy on http://www.milibyte.co.uk/socket.jpg with the levels
adjusted to make things more visible. The wires obscure most of the labels
and numbers but it looks like the terminals are numbered and the colour
codes for both EIA 568A and 568B are shown. The connections should follow
one of these colour schemes, i.e. terminals 1 & 2 (top right) should be
either the green pair or the orange pair. If you use the orange pair on 1 &
2 then the green pair should go to 3 & 6, which I think is the bottom left.

My guess is that things should work if you offer your mate a pint to come
back with his punchdown tool and swap the green/white and orange/white
striped wires. But poke around among the wires first to see the numbers to
check this.

--
Mike Clarke