Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:18:15 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrolled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Most appliances are total crap nowadays. If you've moved a washer,
dryer, or fridge since about the year 2000, you'd have noticed that
they're about half the weight of their earlier counterparts; 1/3 the
weight of '50s items (many of which are still kicking.)

I guess thats why I found a concrete block in the back of one I
had to open up some time ago. :-)

It seems that someone learned how to skimp on parts way early on, eh?

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.