Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat Roof: Sand Coating?

"Pavel314" wrote in message
. ..
I live in an old farm house that has one section of fairly flat roof, it
only falls one foot for twelve feet of run. About every third year I have
to haul a 5-gallon bucket of roof sealant up there and recoat the area. I
had a roofer look at it and he said it's too shallow a pitch for roll
roofing, sealant is the best way to go..

My question is whether sprinkling a layer of sand on the newly spread roof
sealant would give me another year or so of use out of it. I thought the
sand might dissipate some of the force of the rain and reflect some of the
sunlight. Or I could use gravel, if that would be better. Or spread roof
aluminizer on it after it dries. Any opinions on this?

Thanks,

Paul

New hot roofs get gravel to extend their life. Not knowing the present
condition of yours, it is not possible to say how much help it will be.
Won't hurt though. When you replace it, get a rubber roof.