Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Cost of metal roofing

On Sep 17, 8:24*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
RF wrote:
I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Orange County is going to be high; that goes w/o saying...

What's the roof style, height, anything unusual like extra dormers or so
on...any all of those things are significant in pricing. *What about
existing roofing, repair existing damage, etc., as well...

The way to get a better guesstimate for comparison rather than simply
total cost is what's the cost/square? *Also, you could undoubtedly find a
retail price simply for the roofing itself as a starting point--it may be
more expensive than you think. *On the other poster's note of steel prices
going up; it's true and all the other factors also apply--the energy
prices factor into the manufacturing and transportation on top of the bulk
material prices.

I priced a 32' x 14' patio cover, all steel by Fabral. *Didn't take the
price. *Went back three months later, and it was $300 more. *Took it that
time. *I'm almost finished with the project, working on it a few hours here
and there.

Why don't you locate the materials yourself and ask for a labor only price?
Please specify if the prices you are stating are turnkey, or labor only.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Do they have stone coated steel?

I don't think you can buy the material only from Gerard. And they
will be expensive:

http://www.gerardusa.com/