Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Stock Market Tanks!! Thanks GOP

"Hawke" wrote:

Nobody can be said to control congress unless they get to where they have
the 60 votes needed in the senate to break a filibuster. Having a small
majority gives one side more power than the other but it doesn't give it
control until they can pass what they want regardless of what the opposition
party does. The republicans had that for a number of years and passed
anything they wanted and the Democrats couldn't do a thing about it. It's
nothing like that right now. But having the White house and a close minority
can arguably be said to be the party actually in control of the government.

Hawke

You are correct on the 60. 60 is clouture which will get something to the floor passing a
filibuster that seldom actually happens. Two thirds gets a treaty approved or a senator
expelled.

Now when did the Republicans have 60 seats in the Senate and own the House? I must have
missed those good times. I tried to google for how the various parties held congress
over the years but could not not find the proper search terms.

Wes